Friday 16 January 2009

What could make this situation better? Oh, I know! The Holocaust!

The book for English I have to read before school goes back is titled "Night", by Elie Wiesel. It's the author's auto-biography cleverly wrapped in fiction, sort of - it's his survival tale of The Holocaust in novel form. Sure, it's boring and depressing. But reading it sure beats staring at metrosexuals on the train.

I'm only thirty pages in, and it hasn't gotten exciting at all. It's gonna be Generals Die In Bed all over again, the book we studied at the end of last year about life in WWI. In fact, the writing style is basically the same. So far, it's been jumping to plot points so quickly by using misguided, 5-word sentences. "Dad said we have to move. The next morning, we all got up and moved to the ghetto." What the hell is that?! Being that the book is about such a dramatic event, I was expecting something a little more thrilling. I hate reading, I really do. English class has ruined books for me.

4 comments:

Miranda said...

Do not, repeat DO NOT study Literature then. Lit killed my love of books for ages... didn't help that our teacher was a pervert and managed to find a to sex in EVERY SINGLE THING WE READ. (And one of the main books we studied was a collection of true short stories by an undertaker...)

Miranda said...

Oh yes, and Night doesn't get any better closer to the end either. I only read it at least a year after I finished school, but still passed the SAC when I had to in Year 11.

Miranda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Haha, we lit students have to read 4 books over the holidays! One of them was a play which was boring as hell (I hate reading plays!) the other one is To Kill a Mocking Bird (which is a great book) and the other 2 I am not sure about.

We better get to read and write poems/stories in lit! and get to choose books to read or I will go insane.

P.S I laughed at your title!